Key Systems & Cylinders

How often do SARGENT cylinders need lubrication?

Lubrication is recommended at least once a year for standard applications. Multiple lubrications may be necessary for high use doors or doors subject to outside elements such as rain, snow, and wind.

What lubricant is recommended for SARGENT cylinders?

Depending on the cylinder we recommend:

Conventional and XC cylinders - ASSA Lube SARGENT (part number: 18-0070)

Signature and Degree - Fluid Film (available at most big box DIY stores)

Keso - Powdered Graphite

How do I find the SARGENT key system registration number for my key system?

All master level keys are stamped with the registration and key set number.

When expanding an existing key system, how do I order the next available key sets?

Contact SARGENT Key Records department at 1-800-727-5477 and be sure to have the system registration number available.

With the 21- construction key option how do I void out the construction feature when turning the building over to the owner?

Step 1: Insert change key in the cylinder

Step 2: Turn the change key clockwise in order to allow the inner ball bearings to fall into place

Step 3: Turn the change key back to position for extraction

Step 4: Insert construction key and ensure it no longer rotates and is now void

How do I obtain a bitting list for my key system?

Contact SARGENT Key Records department at 1-800-727-5477 and be sure to have the system registration number available.

How can I order key blanks?

Most key blanks are available through our TurboShip program, and usually ship within 1-week of order. Key blanks are sold in boxes of 50. 6-pin keys are also offered using our standard order form.

How do you recommend cutting SARGENT keys?

We always recommend cutting by code never by punch.                                          


Please contact these manufacturers directly for pricing and availability: 

Do you offer any competitor SFIC keyways/cylinders?

We offer the most common SFIC cylinders in 6-pin and 7-pin, including Schlage C and E keyways, for conventional cylinders. Please refer to the individual product catalogs for availability. 

Are control keys supplied standard with small or large format interchangeable cores?

No. Control keys always need to be ordered separately if required.

What keys are supplied with hardware when ordered with construction cores?

Products ordered with construction cores are supplied with 1 control key and 6 construction masters.  These keys are shipped separately from the hardware.

Do you offer cylinder pinning or master keying classes?

Yes. All virtual and in-person classes are available through Assa Abloy Academy.

Check out the classes here

What collars are supplied with hardware ordered less cylinder (LC)?

All product orders that require the use of a mortise cylinder, are provided with collars that fit 1-1/8” cylinders. 

If cylinders of other lengths are used, additional collars will be needed. Consult catalogs/parts books for collar options, to be ordered separately.

Mortise Locks

Is there a mortise lock offering for doors thicker than 2.5 inches?

Yes, however it will need to be placed through a special order and you will need to contact SARGENT technical service for more information.

Can I add status indicators to my existing mortise locks?

Yes, retrofit kits are available to add status indicators to any 8200 Series mortise lock manufactured since 2002, however, they cannot be used with the 8100 series or older 8200 series due to an updated attachment design.

Does SARGENT offer narrow back set mortise locks?

No, currently we only offer SARGENT mortise locks with a 2 ¾” back set.

Bored Locks

What applications are recommended for the 11 Line lock?

The 11 Line is designed for high traffic and high abuse applications including: classrooms, office entries, locker rooms, dormitories, restrooms, waiting rooms, and apartment doors

What is the 11 Line warranty?

All the most up to date warranty information for SARGENT products can be found in the Price Book

Can competitor’s key systems be used in the 11 Line lock?

The 11 Line integrates into many existing facilities’ key systems.

Available options include Small Format Interchangeable Cores (SFIC), Schlage® and Medeco® Large Format Interchangeable Cores (LFIC) and Schlage® conventional cylinders.

Does the BHW trim on the 10X Line retrofit to current preps?

The 10X Line cylindrical lock with BHW trim fits a standard 2-1/8" through bolted bore with 3 additional through bolt holes.

Is the 10X Line with BHW trim cylindrical lock suited for low, medium or high-risk areas?

With its integrated design, the 10X Line with BHW trim has been approved for use by NYS OMH in in low, medium or high-risk areas.

Can the lock be used in other than healthcare applications?

Yes, general hospitals and schools or other areas where trim may be subject to extreme abuse are ideal applications.

Exit Devices

Can I switch my classroom trim function to a storeroom trim function?
Yes, we offer locking slide kits (Part # 97-0355 or 97-0356) which allow you to change from a classroom (13 or 43) to a storeroom (06 or 46) and vice versa. Classroom (13) Function - 607-1 Storeroom (06) Function - 607-2 Classroom Freewheeling (43) - 607-3 Storeroom Freewheeling (46) - 607-4
Am I able to add electric latch retraction (56-) to my existing 80 Series exit device?

Yes, you can add electric latch retraction (56-) option if your device was manufactured after 1995 and do not include the following functions:

  • Delay Egress (59-)
  • 855 Kit
  • FEMA ratings

If your device was manufacture between 1995-2006 use the R56A retrofit kit and M56A kit for devices manufactured after 2007.

Please visit our 80 series catalog under the Electric Latch Retraction Motor kit and Push Rail Kits (page 57)

Is the 80 Series, 8810 function, able to accept a trim after installed?

Yes, the 80 Series, 8810 function, comes prepped with the cylinder and spindle hubs to accept trim later if desired.

If I have a 2-1/4” thick door, but ordered my trim for standard 1-3/4”, do I need to purchase an entire new trim?

No, a new trim is not needed. We offer a variety of spindle kits for each device that can accommodate 1-3/4”, 2”, or 2-1/4” thick doors. Please visit page 74 in our 80 Series catalogs for details on these spindle kits.

My door has an inside panel (cladding), when I order a concealed vertical rod exit device do I need to add panel dimensions to door thickness?

Our 80 Series exit device can only accommodate cladding for doors with 1-3/4” thickness, and panels of ¼” or ½”.  Specify 31- AND panel thickness on the order.  Do not combine dimensions.